10 Smart SEO Solutions for a Home Security Business
Big players like ADT account for 24% of all home security services in North America. This creates a challenge for businesses trying to get found online.
What can help your business get discovered? The right SEO solutions.
SEO and its boundless resources help your business rank in search results. SEO is a set of best practices any business could apply, but few do right.
This article shares those tactics to rank well so you’ll get more leads and sales.
Rank a Home Security Business with These 10 SEO Solutions
SEO is about creating a foundation and making logical improvements using data. Follow along to understand these fundamentals. And, gain strategies that’ll have you out-doing the competition.
1. Upgrade Your Titles
Two items can greatly improve your search engine titles:
- Engaging Copy for CTR
Keywords help Google understand the page topic resulting in better search placement. Try applying the primary keywords to the front of the page title. Then, apply a secondary keyword at its end.
Example: Home Security — 10 Smart Tips for Securing Homes
Also, include enticing phrasing to increase the click-through of each title. Try adding provoking words like “Best” or “Must-See” to encourage clicks. This delivers more visitors resulting in longer dwell time (an important SEO practice).
2. Use Smart Descriptions
Search engines pull meta descriptions to display in results. This blurb satisfies keyword use and click-through the same as titles.
What matters with the descriptions?
- Engaging copy
- Primary and secondary keywords
- Length and accuracy
Auto-generated page descriptions fail to describe its content. Manually create engaging descriptions else use SEO plugins to craft better meta descriptions.
Apply the keywords forming a unique description not copied on other pages. Keep the meta description under 300 characters so important information isn’t cut off in its search results display.
3. Create Pillar Content
Always think this when creating content:
- Is this the BEST content about this topic?
- Does it cover everything and then some?
Pillar content defines your brand and authority helping it attract more visitors, backlinks, and sales. This happens because it’s a definitive piece. The content is so thorough and helpful competitor’s attempts look amateur in comparison.
- The Ultimate Guide to Home Security
- Everything You Need to Know About Burglaries
- 100 Security Tips from Veteran Home Security Experts
Compare this to breaking the topic into several, smaller pieces.
Including secondary and long-tail keywords & phrases are a bonus to pillar content. These longer pieces cover such a wide breadth of content it satisfies several queries appearing in many search results.
4. Use Backlink Variety
Using the same backlink keyword or phrase is suspect to search engines. This also applies to the context in the placement of your backlink. A robust backlink profile is one of the better SEO recommendations to build strong search signals.
Follow these rules:
- Use link variety like keywords, naked domain links, and brand links
- Create backlinks on relevant industry sites but also some smaller domains
- Gain dofollow and nofollow links as this appear natural to search algorithms
You could consider “Home Security News” or “Check It Out!” as an example of this backlink variety. Mirror how your audience would link back as a good rule of thumb when building this backlink profile.
5. Leverage Third-Party Platforms
Third-party platforms provide:
- Access to new audiences
- Media formats
- Do and nofollow links
Consider creating multi-media content like slideshow presentations for Prezi or Slideshare. Package and re-upload documents to Docstoc or Scribd. Or, rework existing company videos for Facebook and Instagram.
Each platform shows your brand to a new audience — creating opportunities for:
This SEO technique requires little investment. You’re repurposing old content for new platforms.
6. Run Contests
Contests create three opportunities:
- Wider exposure
- Brand development
- Lead-generating collection
A contest giving away a complete home security system would work amazingly on social media. Or, something smaller like a free home security camera and 1-year of DVR service.
Here’s how and why it works:
- Set up a contest using Facebook, WooBox, or Wishpond
- Promote the contest on your site and its social channels
- Collect email/social accounts as per submission guideline
- Complete the contest and reward the winner/runner-ups
- Contact each participant with an enticing follow-up offer
This connection could create link building opportunities with those contestants with blogs. Or, help get your business on the radar of influencers extending promotional partnerships.
7. Leverage Competitors
Discover your competitor’s backlink profile and try copying their success:
- Search their URL in a keyword research tool
- Export their site and backlink list
- Contact the site owner for a backlink
A great pillar content piece could encourage replacing your competitor’s link. Likewise, this gives you an idea of where else you could build links from high-quality domains.
You could use this list as a basis for your outreach SEO campaign, too. Approach the site owner offering a guest post (with a backlink). This will expose your brand to a new audience and deliver those all-important links.
8. Optimize the Site Experience
A difficult site:
- Increases bounce rates
- Lowers backlink incentives
- Removes it’s “stickiness”
Try one (or all) of the following to improve site experience:
- Clean up navigation so there are less “steps” to get to important pages
- Remove outdated content creating a less-than-stellar topic authority
- Add media elements to break-up the visual hierarchy of the page
- Increase the font size and spacing making it easier to read
- Fix grammar and spelling mistakes
- Optimize the site for mobile and different browsers
People are inclined to “stick” to a pleasing site.
9. Create Freemiums
Freemiums, a mix of free and premium, are wildly valuable tools and/or resources. These assets convey authority and become an opportunity for backlinks.
- An interactive home security checklist
- Micro-site sharing searchable crime statistics
- Free (but limited) DVR services for online video security backup
The freemiums also act as ‘lead magnets’ encouraging email opt-ins. This list generates lead prospects for your sales team. Or, could spur news or links from relevant blogs sharing the helpful tool and/or resource.
10. Referral Program
A referral program rewards participants but also gets them to promote your site for free. Their efforts include building links to your site!
- Set up a referral program using ReferalCandy or Mention Me
- Create a referral page explaining the benefits and features
- Include creative assets like banners and copy like newsletter templates
- Work along-side partners to improve their activity and success
- Pay partners set to your payment schedule and guidelines
A handful of partners could create assets including backlinks like:
- Niche sites
- Blog posts
- Video content
It’s a small price to pay for empowering a virtual marketing team!
Keep SEO Working for You
The SEO solutions in this post are part of a bigger picture.
SEO requires commitment and auditing as signals change and best practices evolve. This isn’t a “set it and forget it” activity. Keep SEO working for you by learning and applying as much as you can!
Check our SEO tips to stay up-to-speed and dominating the competition.